View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2021, 01:46 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I did quite a bit of research on these a few years back working with an anthropology professor writing a paper on African religions and metalwork. It used to be held that this 'thuluth' script on these blades was unintelligible etc.
As it turns out, these inscriptions were actual phrases and passages from the Quran used in repetitive manner as a kind of Arabesque motif, but often interlaced with Mahdist invocations.

These were apparently commissioned by the Caliph after the death of the Mahdi in 1885, and key to establish legitimacy and fervor to the continuation of the jihad. There was a great deal of attention to the 'Sword of the Mahdi', and in effect, swords emblazoned with the 'magic' of the Mahdi became in effect 'his' sword. Large numbers of kaskara as well as other weapons were etched with this script to be given to chieftains and holy men, and the field at Omdurman was well strewn with these weapons.

The Mahdiya did not end instantly with Omdurman, and in fact followers persisted for some time. There were remarkable numbers of these recovered at Omdurman and the years just after.

I do not believe these were 'artificially' created souvenirs, but either items actually recovered in the campaign period or slightly after. There were souvenir items created as suggested, but mostly spear heads and the like.

This is one I've had for over 40 years and from a reliable source. The brass guard is apparently a characteristic of the Omdurman produced examples of these.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote