Thread: Kaskara Info?
View Single Post
Old 5th February 2007, 01:33 AM   #1
PBishop

Default Kaskara Info?

Greetings Everyone. It looks like you guys know your swords, so perhaps you can give me some advice.

About 25 years ago my dad gave me a sword as a birthday present - paid $15 for it at a "antique store" (junk shop!) in Washington DC. It was in good shape when I got it, though no sheath. I used it like a machete while camping. Finally the hilt started getting loose and I decided to "fix" it by taking it apart...brilliant, eh?

Well, here it is 25 years later and I've only just found out that it's a kaskara and I'm kicking myself for disassembling the hilt which was otherwise in perfect shape. Anyway, the blade seems to be very fine steel and has never needed any kind of sharpening, despite the abuse to which I put it when younger.

Here is the thing that continues to bug me... Just before the tang starts on the blade, there's a stamp that says "D. Peres." I've tried finding out about this guy, but it seems like he made stuff like corkscrews and those taps they stick in the old-fashioned wooden beer barrels. There's only one mention of D. Peres blades in this forum, and the pic looks nothing like the blade I've got, though the stamp is exactly the same...could have been made by the same machine.

Advice please!?

Keep safe,
Patrick Bishop
PBishop is offline   Reply With Quote