View Single Post
Old 27th May 2014, 06:34 PM   #1
stephen wood

Default Kaskara for Comment...

Based on the images I can't really decide whether the 36" blade is trade or native - certainly older than the hilt arrangement and scabbard. I seems to have a "lumpy" quality which I associate with locally made blades but the fuller looks "imported".

I've never seen the particular style of grip covering - a single piece of leather with a darker binding to support the crossguard - on anything earlier that mid 20th century. The guard itself appears to have a "truncated reverse langet" beneath the binding, again, in my experience an indication of relatively a recent date. Note the langet "lays" across the guard rather being forged into a neat X.

The marks are quite interesting: Cross/Orb (Drum), Lion (very nice one), and (I imagine) a Fly under the langet. All familiar and in this case all locally applied - all engraved apart from the fly which is stamped. Also Stars, Moon some decorative swags and a partially worn Arabic Inscription. It certainly ticks a lot of boxes in terms of marks.

The scabbard seems in quite good condition - maybe missing a metal chape. There are some numbers on one of the triangular flaps and a reference to a Mrs Fitzgerald of Nairobi.

Given the condition of the hilt and scabbard - they didn't see use after refurbishing - I imagine it might be an older blade rehilted then sold to a (singularly fortunate) traveler.

You comments and questions are, always, most welcome.
Attached Images

Last edited by stephen wood; 27th May 2014 at 11:16 PM.
stephen wood is offline   Reply With Quote