View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:12 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

LOL! good one Dmitri on the prescription !. sure could use a memory pill, because as always, these markings seem familiar...maybe I've looked at so many through the years its all a blur. Which Boccia book do you have...I looked into Boccia & Coelho "Armi Bianchi Italiene" but could not find this sword type. The sword blade profiles and unusual designs on polearms do seem to reflect various types of appendages and such features though.
On p.422 there were lettered markings M : C + 1781 in what seemed period inscription on a schiavona, which seemed to have a T O L E D O marking and comments that were in Italian but suggested Brescia. This was of course a Spanish province in those times and earlier, and the Toledo addition was sometimes seen on Italian blades.

Obviously the schiavona has nothing to do with this, but what I thought was interesting was the lettering which seemed similar, and the Spanish associations which are mentioned simply as a consideration since the Spanish colonial suggestion is present.

The curious image with the small lines that seem hairlike and cannot see how extensively present they might have been. There are only the strange scorpion type figures seen on a number of the Italian blades that seem to ring bells with odd shapes and hairlike accents.

Rick, good suggestion on the Sumatran/Indonesian potential, and it seems that some of the klewangs etc. had blade root features of some similarity but cannot recall for sure. What does strike me as compelling are some of the downward quillon shapes on some Philippines edged weapons, which may be a link toward Spanish influence (attached). Note the ferrule as well. The knuckleguard countinuing over the pommel and peened is similar to espada anchas, though this one seems to be separated.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote