View Single Post
Old 11th February 2010, 02:43 PM   #12
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I thought the rapier explanation was a myth?

I don't think the keris panjang was meant to be an execution tool first and foremost. I think the keris panjang is a symbol of authority, much like the sceptre in the European context. The keris panjang is as likely to be used in a fight as a king's sceptre is used in combat, I believe.
I have also heard the rapier theory is not all that plausible. Certainly, it is just a theory, so i don't think we can definitively say exactly why the blade is longer. But given the short pesi on the keris there is no way that a panjang could be effectively used against a rapier in a fight. My leanings are with Kai Wee on this as to it being a symbol of authority which is why it would be the choice of weapon for execution (and that the length makes it effective for that purpose with the method that is used). I do agree that to call it an "executioners keris" is probably as incorrect as calling a "keris sajen" a "keris majapahit", but there does seem to be enough historical reference to say that these were indeed used in this manner at times.
David is offline   Reply With Quote