View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2009, 10:47 PM   #7
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Hi again Gene,
I would have thought that it was more likely that the base metal would be brass rather than bronze, but you have the item to hand so can better tell. Some tips which might help re cleaning etc. These are my opinions only so "read between the lines".
Don't ever use Silvo to clean these sort of things for exactly the reason you state----residue in the etching. I usually use (I think you should be able to get it in the UK) Goddards Silver Cloth and if I really need to get into tight spots, an old toothbrush, with a SMALL bit of Goddards Silver Dip. Don't go overboard as a bit of tarnish can give the item a nice "old" look.
As far as the material section goes, I would NOT remove what is there already, as you don't know what it is holding together underneath! I would be inclined to recover it over the top.
You have asked in my post about the significance of the "onion" finials on the scabbard.
I will reply seperately on this.
Regards Stuart
The Brasso/silvo catastrophe is something that I have to admit to having mixed feelings about. If it weren't for so many good brasses/bronzes being caked in the stuff, then I'd never get any bargains! But the downside is I do really hate cleaning it out, especially when its been there since the hayday of the stuff in the 70s!
You're right about the methods of cleaning and I'll take your advice mate

Can I ask you if you have any ideas for what other colours would be traditional for these?

Kind Regards
Gene

Of course, if you do have to clean them a bit too much to get the brasso/silvo cement off, then I have to resort to non-vegan methods of re-oxidising the bronze That could affect my karma.
Yeah, this is probobly more correctly called brass, it is quite yellow
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote