View Single Post
Old 11th March 2019, 08:36 PM   #3
vilhelmsson

Thank you Fernando. It is quite beautiful. But it has a more sinister beauty than I was expecting when I purchased it. Perhaps it is the dark patina, and not its history, that contributes to its sinister aura. But I keep it in a closed cabinet for planned observation, only.

The wikipedia page for the Sica is interesting (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sica), but I'd question why anyone would wield these short blades as a primary weapon when a spear would be cheaper and safer. And when the Romans allege that the Sica is the blade of assassins, I'd assume that's less a measure of the blade's use and more a political measure of what the Romans thought of the peoples associated with the blade.

I also read, though I now forget where, that these blades would be used in themed gladiator matches. But it was always the unlucky fighter who got the Sica because it wasn't as useful as virtually any other weapon.

The bronze inlays make me think that this is less a weapon of war or combat, and more a weapon of ritual or status because a bronze inlay must have been precious to the original owner. And bronze inlays, as the missing pieces indicate, are delicate.
vilhelmsson is offline   Reply With Quote