View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 07:34 PM   #22
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
one thing for sure is, taking Alan's and others' suggestion , next week i'll get the local MALAY peninsular malaysia sarong/scabbard maker to make a palembang sarung for this... unless he has a very strong opinion other wise...and further reinforcing the mongrel-ness of this keris!
Well another way of looking at it, if indeed this is a "mongrel" of sorts, is that keris blades sometimes have a natural migration from one keris culture to the next. How you choose to dress it may really be a matter of your own intentions as the current owner. If this blade were to come to you in a space and time where you as the owner might choose to actually wear it as a cultural dress item i would image that you might decide to dress the blade to the culture in which you live. If your intention is as a collector looking to preserve the original cultural integrity of the blade that might be more difficult. I would suggest a Sumatran form since i suspect that might be the origin of this blade, but as Alan points out, it is not specifically typical for a Palembang blade. Frankly i have less even understanding of the origins of this lovely and unique Jawa Demam hilt.
21 luks is indeed unusual for a keris blade from ANY culture (and an oddity that i like about this) and this blade doesn't fit into any particular "pakem" AFAIK, however i don't quite see how this can be seen as an "abomination and an insult". To whom? Certainly not the person it was made for. Just seems a bit too severe a judgement to me.
David is offline   Reply With Quote