View Single Post
Old 16th May 2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
THE WEBPAGE IS http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.33304.html AND THEY INDICATE THE ADDRESS OF THE sTYIAN MUSEUM i THINK IN GRAZ... THAT WILL PRODUCE RESULTS...
Many thanks for your comment, Ibrahiim! I have already been in contact with the Styrian armoury in Graz and although the style of the halberd seems Germanic they are unfortunately not familiar with the particular maker's mark.

So the question is whether the halberd was 1) made in a Germanic country (where?) and found its way to Sweden (war booty from 30 Year War?), or perhaps 2) an immigrant Germanic smith manufactured it in Sweden as part of the new arms industry founded there in 16thC?

The attachement is taken from Vapenindustrierna i Arboga (1939) by Åke Meyerson and shows some halberds and shield mark of Philipus Osterreich. Interestingly the marks were stamped upside down. I think the mark on my halberd looks like an upside down incised "HW". There are also some strange scratches on one side which appear to have been made at the same time as the mark.
Attached Images

Victrix is offline   Reply With Quote