View Single Post
Old 4th July 2015, 12:35 AM   #12
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen
As I said, "jutte" is a possible candidate for an English name for the weapon. But so is "jitte", and while there might be reasonable grounds for saying that "jutte" is correct, or even better, as an English name, there are no reasonable grounds for saying that "jitte" is wrong.

I usually use "jutte" as the English name, or note the use of both "jutte" and "jitte" for the weapon. I think "jutte" is more common.

(Stone gives "jit-te" and "jittei".)
Timo, the only name for the hand held spear is jitte, that leaves jutte for the truncheon, the only people that call the truncheon a jitte are not aware that there is a hand held spear called a jitte. What the correct pronounciation in Japanese is does not matter here in the West, and even Japanese dealers and collectors caqn not agree on the correct Japanese term.

Stone was not aware of the jitte so of course he may have used an older term for the jutte, again people who are not aware of the jitte will not understand the correct WESTERN terms, which is what we are discussing. It makes absolutely no sense to say that the truncheon is both a jitte and jutte, but of course you are free to call them whatever you want.
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote