View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2016, 12:08 PM   #27
Richard G

Jim, I agree that this dirk is late Georgian or William IV. There are also other types, the most common being with a turned grip and somewhat resembling a stilletto. I agree that as a type these dirks are associated with Naval officers; but in every case?
What I am speculating is that these dirks are first and foremost Georgian, and although we can say probably Naval, we should not make that assumption if the clues lead elsewhere.
To put it rather simply, would a Naval officer, a Mason, or even a man off the street, who approached a sword cutler for a dirk be shown essentially the same dirk and be told we can 'customise' this to your requirements. Probably the majority of customers would be Naval officers and this would mean the majority of these dirks are Naval, but not necessarily every one. Cathey's could be one of those exceptions
Annis explains his 'strong presumption', but it is only that, due to the absence of any other likely attribution. Unfortunately a quick Google of Georgian dirks will reveal virtually every one is described as 'Naval'. Many obviously are, but some are more akin to hunting knives. Unless dirks were the sole preserve of Naval officers only this seems a too easy and rather sloppy attribution.
Regards
Richard
Richard G is offline   Reply With Quote