View Single Post
Old 18th June 2016, 05:50 PM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

As always, Cathey posts fascinating examples that promote great discussions, and this one has been outstanding, not just for the intriguing subject matter, but the teamwork in sharing and observing details.

The Masonic theme in weaponry has been a constant fascination for many years, but often somewhat overlooked. In this case, the Masonic symbols placed in the motif of this dirk are not only obvious but compelling .

It often amazes me at just how thoroughly Freemasonry has permeated historic figures and events as well as the cultures of their times. Presently we are travelling through the Southwest, and even in these 'Wild West' cow towns the Masonic mystique prevailed. Coincidentally I was just researching some Masonic swords in a small museum in one in Arizona, where the primary focus was of course gunfighters and such history related to the OK Corral.
Here, along with the fabled six shooters, were a number of clearly Masonic swords, belonging to prominent figures in the town (not the gunfighters of course .

Returning to Nelson and the Dirk in discussion. It is important to remember that Freemasonry was of course prevalent in military context as typically officers were of the gentry or varying levels of peerage. This being the case, naturally many, if not most, were highly involved in Masonic activity.
I suspect that in many cases, Masonic allegiance was predominant as there were certainly indistinct ties between members of lodges in France, and Great Britain.

Regarding Masonic related decoration and styling, it seems that in the neo classic styles in many edged weapons of the latter 18th century may have had even more subtle nuance, for example the 'five ball hilt' type of officers spadroon of 1780 +. These apparently evolved in England, but later, in a remarkable instance, were adopted in France as similar hilts termed as l'Anglaise.
In research many years ago, I thought that perhaps the 'balls' or 'beads' incorporated in the hilt elements may have had numeric significance, particularly in a Masonic sense with the number 5 . In France others had sometimes 7, but again, symbolism?
These ideas were inconclusive, and even Robson discounted the idea, thinking the decoration was simply aesthetic.
Still, as more Masonic themes become apparent, I still wonder.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote