View Single Post
Old 21st February 2012, 09:24 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
I HAVE SEEN EXAMPLES OF THE KERIS SAID TO HAVE BEEN WORKED HOT AND SHAPED WITH THE BARE HANDS. SOME SHOW INDENTATIONS SAID TO HAVE BEEN MADE BY FINGERS. THERE WAS MENTION OF OTHER BODY PARTS BEING USED AS WELL BUT WE WILL CONCENTRATRE ON HANDS ONLY.
I SAW A PHILIPPINE KRISS WITH WHAT WAS EITHER DEEP RUST PITS OR SOME OF THESE DEPRESSIONS. THIS BROUGHT UP FOUR QUESTIONS.
1. DOES ANY MEMBER HAVE FIRST HAND KNOWLEGE IF THIS TECKNIQUE IS REAL AND IF SO HOW IS IT DONE?.
2. DOES THIS TECKNIQUE APPEAR ON WEAPONS OTHER THAN THE KERIS 3. IS IT MORE COMMON ON MALAYSIAN OR INDONESIAN KERIS?.
4. DOES THE TECKNIQUE OCCUR MOSTLY ON MAJAPAHIT AND BUDA FORMS OR MORE RECENT FORMS AS WELL.?

IT PROBABLY WOULD BE GOOD TO ADD ANY LEGENDS OR STORIES CONCERNING THIS QUESTION ,FACT AS WELL AS FICTION.
SUCH LEGENDS OFTEN SHED SOME LIGHT ON WHY IT WAS DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE. IT MAY HAVE BEEN A SIMPLE TECKNIQUE OR JUST A STORY MADE UP TO ADD TO THE MYSTERY OF THOSE WHO WORKED WITH IRON OR TO PROMOTE A CERTIAN PANDAY OR FORGE. EITHER WAY A INTERESTING STORY.
It is know as Keris Picit when dealing with keris. AFAIK this is a genuine technique that was used a relatively select few keris of talismanic nature. It is also an often faked technique and i am afraid that in the end, after we make all the educated guess that we can make, it ultimately comes down to a matter of faith as to whether or not we believe that these impression were made with bare hands. Personally i believe that i have a few actual examples of the technique in my collection. However, it does not seem to be a particularly superhuman feat. After all, the fingers don't need to be held to the hot, soft metal for very long and i would imaging that well calloused fingertips, possibly with some sauve applied, could do the job without much actual damage to the hand. Think about fire walkers who walk through a field of hot coals. This also isn't magick, just quick movement and a bit of faith in one's self.
I can't say i have seen any contemporary attempts at this, unless they are ones made to be aged to deceive. I believe all my examples are later than Mojopahit and are not in the Buda form. Probably more likely 16th and 17th century.
I am afraid that my damnable logic and common sense demands that i relegate the Mpu Sombro story to that of legend, as intriguing and engaging a story as it might be...

Last edited by David; 21st February 2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling correction
David is online now   Reply With Quote