View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:21 PM   #7
kronckew

blade cross section variations could also affect cutting, wide fullers possibly can cut down friction drag while cutting soft materials, as do the cutouts and odd blade geometries of cheese knives.

and now, a diversion.

(caution: thread veer in progress.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuKulzA28

it is like when Greyhounds are shown to be faster than Cheetahs oftentimes, but people like the idea of the Cheetah, untamed and fast as hell. But Greyhounds can be just as fast if not faster.

there was a race between a professionally jockeyed race horse and a retired (and thus off peak training) greyhound over two furlongs (1/4 mile), the greyhound won by two horse lengths. similarly, top gear had a race between a class A racing greyhound (worth about £20000) against a sports car over two laps. the grey won by several seconds.

coincidentally that track was the one in ireland where my millie used to race in her early career in dublin. after moving to the UK, she handily won a stakes race, looking up the time and distance, she ran an average of 34 mph over 550 yards. a greyhounds top speed is usually noted at around 45 mph.

they figure they reach top speed in about 2 strides out of the trap, a feat millie was noted for. she normally lead from the front when she won and placed in the money over 2/3 of her 80 races before she was fouled by another dog and injured enough she was retired & thus went home with me and blue, my other greyhound. he never raced, but is a fiend on rabbits and other small animals like foxes & muntjaq deer. (he doesn't catch them but has great fun chasing them)

anyhow, there was a study recently where they were doing motion studies on the spines of greyhounds and cheetahs to see how they used their flex to store and release energy. the greyhounds consistently tested faster over the runs they were using. they put it down to motivation. greys like to run, cheetahs apparently only do it because they have to.

the 70mph top speed for a cheetah was apparently taken from a guesstimate made in africa over a rough terrain with a manual stopwatch, so is suspect.

a greyhound track owner did import a few cheetahs in the early part of the 20th century, trained them over a few months and then raced one against greyhounds to which they'd been accustomed to each other so as to not try to kill each other. anyway there was one race, the cheetah won handily, but was never raced again. appears cheetahs run out of steam very fast and take longer to recharge.

we now return you to our regularly scheduled thread.

i'm rather fond of the cold steel series of cutting tests of their swords, the one on their version of the dutch klewang is one of my favourites as i have a proper original dutch one myself. their use of pig carcasses complete with bones is a close as we are likely to get to real.

Cutlass cutting test

there are a number of cutting tests with swords on youtube, here's one of the hanwei dao (another one i have) vs. bamboo.

Hanwei practical dao cutting test

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd September 2009 at 08:48 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote