View Single Post
Old 11th December 2007, 01:01 AM   #15
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boedhi Adhitya
Or "dungkul" ? Oh, well... I've read many books discussing ganja's types, and sometimes they didn't agree one another. BTW, which one is the distinct character of "kelap lintah" : the curled-end, or the 'double curve/undulation'? I have a ganja with double undulation, but without the curl. Should I call it wilut or kelap lintah ?

But strictly speaking, yes, according to Bambang Harsrinuksmo, the ganja we discuss is ganja wilut. Kelap lintah and wilut (and dungkul) are different forms of ganja. Which one is the distinct character of each types, some authors have different opinions. My previous post wasn't in accord with any specific opinion, and use 'kelap lintah' as a generic terminology which is commonly used to define any undulating ganja.

If I'm not mistaken, kelap lintah and dungkul are also the names of dhapur. One of them (or both ?) is five luks.
Dear Mas Boedhi,

The distinction is probably based on the undulation of ganja's side view. Mr Moebirman in his book "Keris Senjata Pusaka" (Keris, Heirloom Weapon, 1970) only differed in two forms: (1) dungkul or dhungkul -- curved ganja, (2) ganja leser -- flat ganja. Mr Moebirman also mentioned -- ganja sebit lontar (not ron tal -- or tal leaf as Mr Haryono Guritno)

But Mr Haryono Guritno in "Keris Jawa Antara Mistik dan Nalar" (2005) gave more details than Moebirman and also Bambang Harsrinuksmo, differing into 5 forms: (1) ganja sebit ron tal -- curved like tal or fan palm's leaf, (2) ganja wilut -- I supposed means "welut" or eel in English, (3) ganja dhungkul -- I don't know the litterally meaning of dhungkul, (4) ganja kelab -- not kelap -- lintah, the moving of leech.., (5) ganja sepang -- I don't have the litterally word for sepang.

Haryono Guritno also differentiate the forms from upper or bottom view of ganjas (please look at second picture): (1) nguceng mati -- dead little fish, (2) nyebit ron tal -- or like torn fan-palm leaf, (3) nyirah cecak -- like small house lizard's head, (4) nyangkem kodok -- like frog's mouth, (5) nyirah tekek -- like big house lizard's head.

It ought to be a visual discussion...

Ganjawulung
Attached Images

ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote