Thread: My third Kris
View Single Post
Old 7th December 2021, 08:23 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

A nice keris. Tilam Sari, Wos Wutah.

Slight concavity to front of gandhik, possibly somewhere to the west.

I'd need it in hand to classify but I am virtually certain that it is classifiable.

The pendok appears to be engraved, & it is on back to front, it should be removed & replaced with the engraved face on the other side of the wrongko, the top of the pendok will then meet the underside of the atasan(top cross piece of wrongko).

Ideally the hilt & mendak (hilt ring) should be removed, the blade stripped bare, should be drenched with WD40 and allowed to stand overnight, then it should be scrubbed with dishwash detergent & a hard toothbrush under warm running water, patted dry with a lint free cloth, drenched with WD40 again and allowed to stand over night, then apply fragrant oil and a plastic sleeve over the blade.

Mendak needs a good brushing with a soft toothbrush & perhaps soap & water, then dry with a hair dryer, put it onto a screwdriver shaft to hold it while blowing dry. Replace hilt & mendak using wool on the tang to provide a medium firm fit --- do not force the hilt on, you might crack it. Couple of spots of OCedar furniture oil or baby oil hand rubbed into the hilt, same treatment for the atasan of the wrongko.

If the pendok does not want to come off, heat it with a hair dryer and with a rubber glove on your hand grip firmly and apply consistent pressure. Possibly a light rub with 0000 steel wool, or maybe just a silver polishing cloth --- these cloths will clean brass as well as silver.

This keris does not appear to need restoration, just the light cleaning as outlined above.

The dress is absolutely correct Surakarta.
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote