View Single Post
Old 15th July 2021, 07:04 PM   #18
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
But the hilt and description is of interest to me. This "veiled Durga" thing has been a stone in my shoe for a long time. It is to the best of my knowledge a totally westernised appellation.

Importantly, what does this hilt form represent?
WOW. Thank you for the insight into the etymology of this hilt! My post isn't exactly cogent to where Mr. Maisey is taking his argument. It is just a little back story as I've been thinking on this style of hilt for a while, off and on for a year. The carvings I have always found invoke a emotional response that is as vague and powerful as the images themselves.

I have not gotten into the Javanese interpretations of Durga yet, only the synopsis of the source material the Javanese used. My main source so far has been Rao's Hindu Iconography. Using that I have not found a clear match of which incarnations are in David's pictures from post #4. The first seems reminiscent of Mahakali with tusks, eight arms, and the head dress. To me it seems most probable the statues are Katyayani? The buffalo is certainly Mahishasura. I am not sure what the small figure on the right would represent in two of the statues. I am attaching a bit of back ground information to this post. I believe this information is from a Shivistic point of view and to me seems more appropriate for a conversation on Javanese thought. The book was published in 1914 so I believe it is public domain. Sorry for the p. 350 being turned.
Attached Images

Last edited by Interested Party; 15th July 2021 at 07:08 PM. Reason: clairification
Interested Party is online now   Reply With Quote