Thread: Yemeni sword
View Single Post
Old 8th December 2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Pinchot
Salaam ya Ibrahim!
I corresponded with Ibrahim about the sword pictured by Michael Blalock awhile back; we reached the same conclusion. It was offered by Auctions Imperial in the 2013 sale, here is a link to the description:
http://www.auctionflex.com/showlot.a...enum=5&lang=En

The blade is broad and well-tempered. While it showed some flexibility due to its relative flatness, it isn't particularly so.

Other than a very basic form from the same early Arab swords which influenced the Omani kattara, i.e. a simple, symmetrical, cylindrical grip with expanded pommel and straight, double-edged blade, I see no evidence for these swords being Arab at all. There was an example on display in the Victoria & Albert Museum when I visited there in the mid-90s, which was also of this form. It was mounted in silver, and the scabbard was done in black and red leather. It was labeled rather generically as an Islamic sword, I believe. Unfortunately, it isn't pictured in Anthony North's book.

Salaams Oh Yaa Ustadh Oliver Pinchot !! Oh yes of course ...I had not forgotten but my notes are somewhat scattered about ... Your reference is absolutely superb and nails the entire sword in all its glory and with the stamp also translated ... Seldom have I seen a more accurate reference... Thank you for that ..and it is great to see you on Forum. There is also a brilliant example at the Wallace in London ...and on Forum ..

Ariel... Its not Omani but I can only agree that it certainly gets a second look as parallels / similarities initially jump off the page. I think that since it is a late design the maker has used several devices which whilst they may look slightly like the Omani old Battle Sword...it is as stated at the reference and probably not Arabian ...It certainly is not Omani. The blade in this case is pointed not round tipped...and the pattern/decoration is not Arabian ...etc.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote