View Single Post
Old 14th November 2005, 10:19 PM   #23
Kiai Carita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusaka
In modern times which keris workers are able to produce a keris using meteorite Iron? I know it is difficult so most keris workers dont have this skill but which ones have.
Pusaka, up till WWII people still sold meteorite in the markets of the cities. All keris craftsmen would be able to make keris using meteorite. Making a keris is difficult and even in the modern times most of the technical, material, aspects of keris making are the same as the way the ancient Mpu used to work, the difference being mosty in the spiritual work. I suggest go to Aeng Tong Tong and you will be able to see a village full of keris makers.

Mans, who posts on this forum regularly goes there and knows many of these craftsmen. Some consistently produce good work and do not cut corners and live straight lives and although they are not recognized as Mpu they argueably could be called Mpu just for their service of keeping quality keris making skills alive. The Solo art academy also has people who have interest in making keris. The problem is making keris is a long process and the market is small. You can buy a regular quality old keris for less than the price of a new well made one. Alot of people prefer the old because they think the old has more 'spiritual' powers.

Traditionally you if you go to an Mpu and ask for a keris to be made for you would be asked many things to determine what shape and pamor pattern would be beneficial for you, and when the making should proceed and end, and so on. You could collect meteorite from e-bay and forge it and hammer it clean of impurities...according to Harsrinuksmo's Ensiklopedi Keris, you need between 300-400 grammes of this stuff to make a keris. Then you choose what iron (around 12 - 18 kg depending on the shape of the blade, wavy or straight) and the steel for the centre and sharp edge (around 600 grammes).

As long as you chose a pamor pattern that is categorized as pamor mlumah (lying on it's back) then the difficulties are not that high. If you want a fancy pamor miring (lying on it's side) then it is much more difficult to execute using hammer welding.

By the way, I notice you are cut-and-pasting posts and photos from members of this forum and using the images and member's words in discussion on the martialartsplanet silat forum withough mentioning the source. Is it OK to do this? I am sure there are many keris enthusiasts through silat there that would benefit from joining this knowledgable forum.

Warm salaams to all,
KC
Kiai Carita is offline   Reply With Quote