View Single Post
Old 9th October 2018, 01:26 PM   #1
Roland_M

Default Pedang with unusual point

Hello all,

according to Mr. Albert Zonneveld this is a Pedang III with an unusual downcurved point. My little dolphin-sword is thin, extremely sharp and light weighted.

I never saw such a point before on a blade. Surely there are types with a massive downcurved point like semi sickle-swords, but such a tiny downcurved point of two or three millimeters was new to me.

I tried this sword out with an old leather couch and i was pretty schocked. Without any force, fallen from a height of ~30cm and only by its own weight, it already causes deep cuts into thick leather. With light to medium power it produces extraoridnary deep cuts of some inches.
In my eyes this is a very good compromise between a straight cutting edge, combined with the penetrating power of a Kerambit, at the cost of thrusting ability. The point was forged in this shape, it is no result of extended grinding of the edge or so!
I also can say, that this sword saw massive combat over a long period.

The hardening is of very high quality, the sword got different zones of hardness from extremely hard at the middle part of the edge to a medium hardness on the back. The hardness of the point is between the edge and the back.

It is very high steel quality with an extremely fine forging pattern, without any signs of lamination after the grinding and polishing. The sword was in very bad condition and it was an attempt, whether such a blade is worth a restoration or not. I believe, it could be older than 200 years but i have nothing for comparrison.

I hope, someone can say more about this sword, especially other swords with a similar material would be of highest interest for me. I already have a sword with a quite similar pattern but i wish to hear, what the experts have to say, since i don't wanna disgrace myself.

Thanks for reading,
Roland
Attached Images

Last edited by Roland_M; 9th October 2018 at 01:40 PM.
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote