View Single Post
Old 14th January 2023, 03:43 PM   #12
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall View Post
Wonderful analogies Norman!!! and I have honestly gotten eye strain from trying to spot the weapons hung on Holmes' walls in various versions from film and TV.
Absolutely very British colonial influences, and Watson in 2nd Afghan War would have certainly brought in such things, I always recall the picture of Gordon, the notable Persian slipper with Holmes' stash etc.
It seemed I have always watched with eagle eye the weapons in films, and do all to restrain from declaring something 'not right', lest my wife bop me with the proverbial frying pan

In "Gunga Din" (the 30s original, which I have probably watched reaching a Guiness record since I was a kid) at some point I got stuck on the strange axe the commander held, said 'thuggee'. I spent it seems years trying to research these and these obscure bandits. I always wondered it the one they had was real, as these are so rare, never actually have seen one, anywhere.

All very best,
Jim
Hello Jim

Since we are talking about films dedicated to Sherlock Holmes, it is necessary to recall the Russian version. There, in Watson's room, "oriental arms" are also presented. But, if you look closely at the items that can be seen on the carpet, the idea comes that Watson not only participated in military operations in Afghanistan, but he also had a secret mission to the Caucasus
By the way, if you haven't seen this movie, I highly recommend it.

This series received positive reviews in England. Critics noted that the creators of the series carefully treated the original source, and the atmosphere of the works of Conan Doyle was conveyed with true love by true connoisseurs of the classics of the detective genre]. Margaret Thatcher spoke approvingly about the series. In 2006, Russian actor Vasily Livanov, who played the role of Sherlock Holmes, became a Commander of the Order of the British Empire, and Livanov was named one of the best actors who played Sherlock Holmes.

https://russianfilmhub.com/tvshows/t...and-dr-watson/

https://youtu.be/lg2zQreEVKI
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 14th January 2023 at 04:34 PM.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote