View Single Post
Old 7th January 2012, 03:59 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Emanuel, I think the connection presuming links between the Iflissen tribal component of the Berbers of Kabylia, actually in NE Algeria and Morocco may stem from misstatements in Stone for one instance. He inadvertantly identified the flyssa as Moroccan, when these are distinctly an Algerian form attributed to the Kabyles. Apparantly these regions in thier religion follow Sunni Islam but with the Malekite rite which is primarily centered in Morocco. Perhaps somehow this religious and cultural connection, along with the fact that the broader Maghrebi designation included both Algeria and Morocco led to the misperception.

The flyssa itself is a perplexing weapon and its origins, both timewise and from where both the subject of many years of debate. Personally I favor the idea that these distinct swords evolved from Turkish yataghan forms and while examples typically are from mid 19th century, may have existed up to a hundred years earlier.

One of the only focused studies on these is :
"Sabre Kabyles Etude des Flissa, du Musee de ''Homme"
Camille LaCoste-Dujardin,
'Journal de la Societe des Africanistes' XXVIII, 1958

The author observes the refitting of yataghan blades in Algiers and Oran which were mounted with Kabyle type scabbards. The acquisition of a sword for young Kabyle men was a sort of 'rite of passage', and while the familiar 'flyssa' was of course typically seen, the Ottoman yataghan was also much admired and sought after.
There are remarkable similarities of course between various straight backed, deep bellied yataghans and the flissa. The needle type point that is also typical recalls those of Circassian and Tatar sabres, with these groups profoundly represented among Ottoman forces.

I am simply adding this detail for source material for those interested in the 'flyssa' and would point out that much of the material compiled on these has been tremendously augmented by the work you have done and contributed in the many discussions we've had on them here.

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote