View Single Post
Old 30th April 2023, 08:37 AM   #1
JeffS

Default Kampilan sundi symbolism

I recently found an Ebay sleeper kampilan so I finally have a nice old one for my collection. It will be awhile before I get my hands on it in Singapore, but of course I already want to learn everything I can about it. Lots of good reading on the forum (dont forget to use Wayback Machine for pre-crash threads). I feel like I recall discussion, but haven't found it, about the symbolism of the sundi (spikelet). Cato notes that some sources believe it is symbolic of the hornbill while others say it is combat feature. Could be a bit of both... The crescent with the two small round bits has been a common feature for a long long time on these blades. The two bumps seem very specific and the crescent, of course, has deep Islamic meaning. With the horizontal orientation the sundi also looks a bit like a boat with two heads poking up.... I can also sort of see the hornbill feature, but again why the two bumps? Perhaps, like the kaudi on khukuri, the meaning has been lost over time. However, there is a lot more variability in sundi styles and thus flexibility - how is it that the distinct feature of the two bumps, which is presumably a bit of a hassle to include, keeps on keeping on without a well known meaning or purpose?
Attached Images

JeffS is offline   Reply With Quote