View Single Post
Old 14th September 2022, 12:56 PM   #25
colin henshaw

Certainly an interesting topic and its good to see American Indian weapons being discussed on the forum. Coincidentally, I have just finished reading an excellent and scholarly essay by James A. Hanson on this very subject of swords used by American Indians. The essay is contained in "The Encyclopedia of Trade Goods - Gun Accessories & Hand Weapons of the Fur Trade" published by Museum of the Fur Trade, Chadron, Nebraska, USA., 2021.

From what Hanson says, it seems the use of swords by Native Americans was more extensive than previously thought. He states " By the early eighteenth century most tribes had readily adopted the European weapon" and "the Sioux and Cheyenne used such weapons in numerous documented cases" and other similar statements. There are many reproduced photos and pictures of American Indians with swords in the essay.

There is also an essay on North West Coast and Northern knives in the book; it seems there was indeed some forging of steel knives by the Native Americans themselves... a quote.. "McKennan reported that the Yukon antenna knives were made by the Tanana who used old steel files".

In my view the encyclopedia is an excellent resource for anyone interested in Native American weapons etc.

Moderators - I hope these quotes are OK in respect to copyright, if not please delete them. I have not reproduced more images etc from the book for this reason.
Attached Images

Last edited by colin henshaw; 14th September 2022 at 05:57 PM.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote