View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2021, 07:21 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

I have always loved the minimalist form of this particular style of Sumatran hilt. I have seen just in recent years some collectors suggesting this might be a representation of Durga. I must say that i remain unconvinced. There is certainly no specific symbolism that directs us to that goddess.
The only name i am familiar with for this hilt form is hulu Putri Malu, which translates to something like "shy princess". There are probably other names that have been applied to it over the years. If names mean anything (i suppose sometimes they may be misleading) i think it would be odd to call Durga a "princess". But then i am uncertain just how far back this name "Putri Malu" goes or whether it was ever an accurate description or not. When hilts get this abstracted from the human form it is difficult to know anything for sure. But there does seem to be a crown-like intention for the top of the head.
This hilt is missing its selut. Often these are made of silver and engraved or reproussed.
I would not think this hilt type a good match for a keris panjang, which i will refrain from calling "the keris of executions". It is not the type of hilt generally associated with the panjang.
This thread has some nice examples of this form along with the "Batman" sheath it is sometimes paired with.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23759
David is offline   Reply With Quote