View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2012, 10:13 AM   #19
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
I was digging around in my image archives today and came across a couple odd images that I was hoping I could learn more about.

The first is a kaskara, but was labeled as Ethiopian. I know of another kaskara with this odd pommel configuration, I believe the MET has it.

The second image is from one of the older churches in Ethiopia I think and is supposedly a king's sword.

Any further examples of this sort of thing - i.e. not the more typical horn hilts?
Salaams Iain~ I have been looking at this thread since it arrived and have to say I consider this one of the most important possibilities (the Mamluke link etc) I have yet encountered here. The connotations are legion including the rehilting of these blades onto Omani longhilts, fusion with Saudia and Yemeni hilts and so on. Intriguing also are the fancy decorations of moons etc on the other blade ~Luckhouse and Gunter plus other German makers have a hand in some of these as well as possible local copies. I see some with woolf marks in Muscat. On passing, I am reviewing the blade scene for Schiavona rehilts in Red Sea variants...

Anyway this thread is looking good and I hope it develops. Thanks.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote