View Single Post
Old 4th December 2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Great topic Bill!
This is exactly what most of us here have been focused on doing with the weapons we study here, and Jens has posted an excellent example of how totemic or talismanic qualities of for example, snakes, have become symbolic motif. The application of totemic or animist symbolism on weapons has been known since prehistoric times, and we have had so many brilliant discussions on them here that it is hard to really name them all, but I think Vandoo and Jens have expressed well placed observations covering this.

One of the greatest obstacles has of course always been certain hypersensitivity in discussing religious or geopolitical factors that are inherent in various cultures and though they play a key role in symbolism on the weapons, the discussions have almost always digressed into unfortunate tirades. It has always been my opinion, as someone who remains fascinated with all cultures and always desperately trying to learn more about them, that if everyone would only try to understand other cultures and allow each other the right to thier own beliefs, there would be less fighting and tragedy in this world. Idealistic, to be sure, but it is what I believe...and I will emphasize here that I speak for myself only, before any crossfire evolves

I think that as Andrew has noted, most types of arms and armour, and often even various items of ethnographic material culture, are distinctively pertinant to the study of the edged weapons of these cultures. As Jens has often noted, the symbolism found in decorative motif would seem to carry important clues in identifying the provenance of weapons. Important symbolism pertaining to religious beliefs has been shown of utmost importance as has been shown in Robert Elgood's outstanding "Hindu Arms and Ritual", one of the first arms books I am aware of that carries focus on that particular topic.
There has been a large degree of specious debate over the use of the term Islamic Arms in the titles of books on these weapons saying that the term is improperly applied and inadequate as a description. Debates over weapons terminology has also been an endless stumbling block in studying ethnographic edged weapons, with semantics, transliteration and local variation causing most of the misunderstandings. It would seem that there has been a large degree of 'misapplication' in describing weapons in the history of arms study, but using terms that are colloquially understood (collectors terms) seem better left in place for the purpose of discussion.

Even military regulation weapons are considered pertinant in our study of ethnographic weapons, as has been seen with countless native weapons using either captured or trade components from colonizing powers.
We once had a great discussion on Scottish basket hilts, and whether they were considered 'ethnographic'. Absolutely! A topic dear to my heart!!
The Scottish clans were indeed 'tribal' as clans are essentially a tribal unit.

Even the U.S. has an indiginous 'ethnographic' weapon! In my opinion, the famed Bowie knife would fall distinctly in this category

My thoughts,

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote