View Single Post
Old 4th December 2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Bill M

Default What are "Ethnographic Weapons?"

Is this Forum to discuss only weapons that are made to slice, dice, bruise, break bones, puncture --- or protect the wearer like armor and shields?

Or can we also discuss more metaphysical weapons that the makers and users thought would protect them from the spirits?

In many animistic cultures spiritual weapons and those who wielded them were as --- sometimes more --- important than the warriors with physical blades. The powerful and successful warrior was the one who could fight both physical and spiritual malignant spirits as well as handle unhappy ancestors.

Phurbas we cover.

What about other spirit daggers? Masks? Puas? Naga headbaskets?

Weapon Symbolism? Questions like why are there representations of Nagas - Dragon Snakes on blades? Javanese, Balinese and Madurese -- as well as other keris and kris have very metaphysical roots. Concepts and uses that go far beyond poking holes in people.

For years I have been wanting to know more about these marvelous pieces. The study of metal and shape -- while quite interesting -- only takes me so far. I want to know more. I want to study both, but only studying the metallurgical aspects is dry fare to me.

We have a wonderful and incredible cross-section of the world on this Forum. Resources I never dreamed possible. I would like to know more.

I realize this would need to be handled with care and respect of other peoples' cultures and religions, but I think that this could be done. For the most part people on this Forum, while certainly speaking their minds, do respect each other.

I also realize that the ideas and concepts of "primitive" tribes may leave us, with modern technological understanding, seeing them as superstitious and backwards, but THEY believe certain things and I would like ot know more about WHAT they belive and WHY?

Whole cultures are dying out as they accept our weapons, technology, medicine, religion and financial cultures. I'd like to know more before they are gone.

Isn't this a big part of what we are trying to understand in our studies of "Ethnographic Weapons?" How can you really know the weapons we study unless we know about the people who created them?

If this does not appeal to the broad sense of people here, could we have a sub-forum?

Last edited by Bill Marsh; 4th December 2006 at 01:26 PM.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote