View Single Post
Old 11th July 2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Atlantia ~ I love coffee pots ! There is something very pleasing about the simple shape..and with the long beak spout they take on a character all of their own. My own collection numbers several score. The best ones I ever owned were sent to me by a friend of mine who found them in a famous English souk ! both were signed by the maker in 1912 in Nizwa! Telling the difference is not easy as these days styles are copied all over the place and Pakistani Syrian Yemeni Saudia ... The list goes on ... It is quite difficult to pinpoint. The most difficult engineering is the lid which should be fluted like the body. Original pots are made from one flat sheet of metal be that copper brass or even silver... They are built from the ground up. To protect from verdigris poison (mold that grows on brass) the pots are tinned(tin drenched) sometimes all over inside and out but normally just the inside in the old days this was a Z'tooti ~Gypsi occupation)
Some regional pots have distinct flat tops others more pointed and there is a different more sophisticated shape for a serving pot rather than the pot that goes in the fire to cook up the brew... I will drum up a picture.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Namaste Ibrahiim,

I'm familiar with the construction techniques, but what puzzles me is why this one is Syrian? It seems completely 'standard' in form to me. I've seen this type claimed as 'prizes' of travels to other countries and although as Lotfy rightly points out these are widely 'travelled' it would be interesting to pin it's specific regional 'attributes' for future reference.
I must admit I've had 'some' over the years but none at the moment. I like them, but space is limited!

I have a few Syrian and Egyptian pieces which being similar in style of decoration go well together. I like even the small simple items like this cup:
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote