View Single Post
Old 16th February 2012, 12:59 PM   #20
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Yes actually, they are wrong. The word Khanjar is a persian word. Like many many (even pre-islamic) persian words that were adopted by the arabs. This is nothing new.

The word cannot be reduced to any form like all arabic words. The only issue I have currently is not being able to back this up with academic research but then again nothing (Academic) can be found on the net. But I managed to find lists that include khanjar as one of the many words adopted from Persian. Regardless, I am a university student and we have Arabic professors, I'll get academic info soon just so you know am not pulling this one out of nowhere. :P

I wasnt suggesting that Omani's use the term Janbiya. Rather that the term Janbiya (derived from jnb) is a pure arab word used by southern Arabs (fine, excluding omanis :-))

Also, whether India has this word or not is irrelevant since Indians have been adopting persian words aswell.

Now how about the Kurds and the Turks? or do they adopt the term from Oman?
Salaams A.alnakkas ~ You may be right ?... I dont know Lofty you are the expert on Arabic Linguistics. I am still trying to fathom out where the word Kattara originated but I am not losing sleep about it. Passage of time ~ cross polination of linguistic terms ~ tribal tectonics~ incidental and accidental transmission of words through trade, war, geo political influence ~ who knows?
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote