View Single Post
Old 16th January 2018, 08:22 PM   #7
A. G. Maisey

This European style of seated Buddha is found across SE Asia, it is best known from Thailand,+/ - 600CE, Dvaravati culture. Some people call it "pendant leg" position, some people call it "pralambapodosana" (Sanscrit).

I understand that scholars of Buddhist iconography regard this position as representative of the Buddha Sakyamuni or the Buddha Maitreya --- another name was given also, but I forget it, "Vai------" something.

Maybe ten years ago an academic named Rivere who worked in Thailand published a paper on this Euro style position in the Indo Pacific Pre-History Association Journal. I've got a copy somewhere but don't ask me to find it.

An after-thought:- I think I might have read or heard somewhere that this position is actually representative of The Buddha as King, or maybe The King as A Buddha, the seat itself is supposedly a throne and the concept is that The Buddha rules the World.

All this is half remembered stuff that I read a long time ago, but it might provide some pointers for somebody with time to look for accurate info.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 16th January 2018 at 08:33 PM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote