View Single Post
Old 5th August 2019, 11:34 PM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Everything about this fascinating hanger to me says it is English 17th century, and the blade is of the type, with the pitting etc. commensurate with most I have seen of that period.
The 'kings head' is as well observed seemingly reminiscent of the 'green man' theme which was popular in England in the 17th c. typically on hangers.

The Kings head typically of the Wundes family of Solingen was indeed virtually always a profile and not face first.
These caricature like figures were commonly seen on hangers as well as in the hilts of the so called 'mortuary' swords, and characteristic of the motif often seen.

It is tempting to consider that German blade makers in England, first at Hounslow Heath and later at Shotley Bridge might have amalgamated the kings head so well known in Germany with the green man in the same manner as later the running wolf was fashioned as a running FOX in England.
While obviously speculative, it does seem a tempting possibility given the clear tensions between these expatriate Germans and their home which had in effect declared them outlaw.

While the quality of German blades was of course well known, the English blade making industry sought to gain its own reputation especially toward the end of 17th into 18th with Birmingham.

Pending more definitive identification hopefully with other examples, I would suggest this as a possibility. Even today there are establishments using the green man theme in Hounslow. I have not ever found evidence of a green man marking either from Hounslow or Shotley, however that does not mean such could not have existed. The idea of perhaps an unrecorded maker using same is possible.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote