Thread: Odd
View Single Post
Old 6th August 2017, 10:50 PM   #6
A. G. Maisey

As to where this keris is from, I will not disallow Henk's idea of Sumatera, maybe South Sumatera, but my own feeling is East Jawa.

The KK shape.

A KK is not at all easy to get to the right shape. You leave a lump as big as you can afford on the front of the gandhik and then either split or cut off sufficient material to carve the KK from, when it is half to shape, you heat it and then curl it in, you're usually working with core material, which is not nearly so easy to manipulate as the iron that is in the external skin, so if there is even a hint of hot shortness, or if you didn't get it hot enough or work fast enough, that little projection that will form the KK will break. It happened to me with the first full size keris I made. So then you don't have enough material to create nice elegant curl, and you need to decide what you will do to salvage the work. You can go puguk, you can go to just a gandik, or you can settle for a KK that is less than you wanted. This bloke decided he could still get a KK out of the work, but it was just going to have to be a bit under-privileged. In simple terms he did not have enough material to do a nice fat KK, maybe an accident, maybe misjudgement, but the end result is the same..
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote