View Single Post
Old 27th January 2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.alnakkas
Here is mine. I replaced the blade with a rhino one. The other is very poor quality and is not authentic to the scabbard anyways :P

Salaams A.alnakkas Are there any stamps on the back of the buckle or belt buttons ? The item looks fine and likely to be a masters work... pre 48. Replacing the hilt/dagger was a good move and is what local people do all the time in the Yemen; thus upgrading the weapon.
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Note extracted from http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...hlight=JAMBIA; see #34

Quote. "Jewish silversmiths used to have Muslim and Jewish customers, they also used to work for the royal Muslims, working specially with gold instead of the usual silver. These jewelers also worked doing decoration for the daggers worn by Muslims but not by the Jewish men. This decoration includes some parts of the dagger like amulets and other accessories used with the belt and the djambia.

Itīs an interesting point that some of the jewelers were rabbis, they used to study the sacred texts and also dedicate their life to silversmithing. What i find very interesting is that, as they were students of the Kabalah and the Bible, they knew the symbolic meaning if the designs, their amuletic connotations and their connection to the Kabalistic texts. The fine techniques used in the creation of Yemeni jewellery was passed generation after generation as family secrets.

During the last Imam rule of Yemen, some Jewish silvermiths were called to teach their knowledge to Muslim jewelers, as most of the Jewish community was leaving the country to go to The Holy Land. Nowadays there are some newly Jewish style jewels, but the original antique ones show the finest techniques, like the Bedihi granulation and the finest examples of Bawsani filigree". Unquote

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 27th January 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote