View Single Post
Old 26th January 2013, 03:09 PM   #13
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams A.alnakkas Well now that you mention it That is not the only way to define a good blade, moreover, there are numerous ways to view the most important part of the weapon~ First the dagger is held at the blade tip between two finger tips and a thumb.. lightly...If the blade is any good it will slowly slip from the grip. Second the blade may be struck with the flick of the index fingernail... wherupon if it going diiiinggg !! its no good but if it exudes a dull thud !! is the result then it is a superior blade. The next test is taste... dont ask me to describe this as its a personal thing ...but it is related to the smell test and that is a perfume of old herbs from an equally old shoe !...The scent of the souk... which apparently permeates a good old blade. After and amongst all that I agree that viewing the blade construction is important and the well formed ridge is obviously a good indicator...Im just off to the souk and may well shoot a half dozen Yemeni dagger lookalikes and some other blades.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I always thought that the dull thud is the sound of a hollowed 2 sheet steel blade :P
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote