View Single Post
Old 26th January 2013, 02:16 PM   #11
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams A.alnakkas Yes I don't disagree with any of that, however, I use the pivottal date of 1948 as the likely time after which the project item was made. Lew has a better belt i.e. with the floral decorations etc and the blade is highly polished ... mine isnt I think it reasonable to guage this dagger in a group of weapons attributed to Yemeni craftsmen post 48. For lookers-on your reference is perfectly correct about age on these items as it should be noted that many parts are swapped and changed and that can be very confusing. Forum recently noted how rhino hilted swords were being dismantled to refit Jambias with those hilts. Swapping weapon parts is very common.

As an afternote I would add that a close inspection of the silver furniture will no doubt discover if it has any makers stamps... which would undo my guestimate and no doubt delight the new owner. On magnification I note that the pattern and style on the buckle and main body of the item are perhaps similar so we could all get a surprise...

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
I am always alittle weary of precise dates. But will try not to delve deep into it.

The best way to define a good blade on a jambiya/khanjar is to check how well the central ridge is formed. The thicker and larger it is the better the craftmanship. Yours is probably made of 2 sheet steel which is the lowest quality.. supposedly discontinued though?
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote