View Single Post
Old 26th January 2013, 01:42 PM   #9
A.alnakkas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Lew ~ I would agree with 20th C but late. Post 48; probably 70s 80s ? Often shown with copies of coinage and the big broad blade. With the situation in Yemen being more or less "dire" merchants are keen to move these around the markets thus there are loads in surrounding neighboring countries souks. I'm not sure what they represent in terms of ethnographic daggers in the sense that pre the exodus of Jewish artesans we know that the quality of work was far superior so that perhaps these represent Yemeni craftsmanship as it struggled to raise its level of expertise, though, some would argue that they never acheived that even today. The item I show is even later ...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Its really difficult to define how old are Yemeni/Omani items are. There is lots of restoration and reuse. The blade on Lew's is of good quality compared to yours (which you correctly point out to be newer then the age you suggest for Lew's) Though in general the older blades are of better quality and comes forged with thicker central ridge. Hindawan and older Gusbi blades are still desirable and get refurbished often.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote