View Single Post
Old 5th July 2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Always excited to see cup hilts as you know, and good to see the formidable character deftly holding one in the last photo. A very nice grouping you have Fernando, I am of course envious

This example is interesting, and I have always wondered about the undulating blades on these (often colloquially and it seems incorrectly, called flamberge).
I had thought that perhaps these kinds of blades alluded in the course of chivalry to the 'flaming sword that guarded the gates of Eden'. There seems to be a great deal of perspective regarding the purposes of the serrated edge on blades, and whether they had distinct purpose or how much was simply symbolic or allusion.

Obviously there are no markings or you would have mentioned them. I have always thought, as per most references I have seen, that the cuphilt was a form which did not begin as such much before about 1640.
The form held into the early 18th century but waned outside the Spanish sphere, where it remained in use by Portuguese and Spanish well into the century.

These are my understandings, and I would look forward to hearing the opinions and holdings of those here who are far better versed in this field than me. I would like to know more on the purpose (if any) of the undulating blade; if my understanding of the time range of the cuphilt is in line; and more on the more solid hilt as opposed to those pierced and ornate in engraved design.

It is indeed interesting at the length of the blade, which seems extraordinary. I am under the impression that with these swords being notably aligned with fashions of the times, that the inevitable competition element might bring such extremes. As a sword in use in accord with fencing systems of the period, a blade this length would be remarkably awkward (slow) in my thought.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote