View Single Post
Old 21st September 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolviex
Thank you so far for your help!

I believe the rivets are covered with horn (of buffalo? - I believe horn is the proper word). The middle and smallest rivet is iron, not covered but formed as the bigger ones. Anyway, the rivets covering is made of the same material as the other side of the handle, while the front of the grip is made of bone.

Regards!
Horn is what I expected your answer would be, the grip scales are walrus ivory. Many times on these daggers if you look straight down the blade in line with tip to pommel you will see a slight "S" shape, this helps hold the blade snug in the scabbard, very ingenious of who ever thought of it first. Sometimes on boar spear heads you see the same shaping.

Its fortunate that the calligraphy on the blade(most likely a quote from the Quran) is in such good condion, you can see this kindjal was used over a long period of time indicated by the wear on the decoration between the grip scales.

There is a great book about the people from this area called "Sabres from Paradise", gives you a real flavor for how strong these people are.

I notice you are from Poland, a few years back some great swords surfaced from there that had been used for decoration in castles for years.

rand
rand is offline   Reply With Quote