View Single Post
Old 4th July 2015, 09:09 AM   #13
kronckew

i'll let you two decide.

reversing an arguement, i'd think if the police truncheon thingy is much more common than the folding guard spear thingy, it's transliteration as jitte should prevail & we should call the spear thingy something else, ie. yarijitte. as mentioned we gaijin can call it whatever we decide. like a spanish falcata which was never called that by the contemporary spanish.

just another oint in the flyment, there is a katae kata called 'jitte' using the same japanes characters, ten hands. again because it teaches you to be as effective as ten.

in fact there seems to be no reason not to call all three jitte in japan.

it's a bit like mc donalds suing the scottish undertakers for using the name. i'm unl;ikely to go into the latter and ask for a hamburger. and if i say i'm off to mc donalds for lunch, there is no ambiguity (unless of course i am a goul )

the japanese book on the subject referenced in the video link i posted above seems to also be ambivilalent, and references both weapons as well as intermediary ones like the one above, ones without hooks and ones with many hooks. i's buy the book, but i don't read (or speak) japanese.

thanks to all for a most interesting discussion. どうもありがとうございました.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote