View Single Post
Old 1st March 2015, 12:05 PM   #11
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Alright ...
The design is mine ... but no copyright applies .
The massive parts (square cut and barrel cavity) were made at the carpenter; i wouldn't have the means an the hands (read my profile ) to do it. I only used the chisel to adjust the cavity and a little wood plane to 'rusticize' the wood a bit.
The raw material was part of a pine wood beam that once came ashore in my homeland coast.
The black iron bands were cut in strips at the smith's machine and i 'only' had to cut them in smaller parts and bent them to fit the barrel.
For the fixing i used cut off parts of old hand made nails, salvaged from 19th century ceiling beams.
The door knocker is also old stuff, most probably from the 19th century as well, having once being bought in a street fair. Due to the barrel heavy weight, i had to introduce it (and glue it) well deep into the wood, in a diagonal line, to prevent it to hit the barrel.
The wood colour is already slightly darkened with diluted grain filler. I have previously tried some wallnut wax/tint in the base to check the aspect and i didn't like it. The way it is now looks more patina like ... more in real than in pictures. But maybe i will give it another hand.

Last edited by fernando; 1st March 2015 at 12:16 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote