View Single Post
Old 12th March 2018, 07:00 PM   #9
kai

Hello Detlef,

Quote:
by a blade length from 25 cm it is for sure a Lopah Petawaran, a very nice piece and I have to withdraw my previous comment that there is something missing at the handle, it don't look like this but there is still the possibility that there was once a longer extention attached at the end from the handle.
Nah, not a LP!

You could argue that there is a kind of continuum between typical LPs (blade with bolster), variant LPs (simple blade without bolster), knifes with simple blades (and more acute tips), and small kalasan (with typical taka blades and sigmoid cutting edge). LPs usually have blade tips that are steeply angled towards the back (aka tanto tip style); however, old, worn LP blades often exhibit more acute knife-like tips and, thus, blurring the distinction.

However, looking at the whole evidence including blade, hilt, and scabbard, I feel confident that this is not a ceremonial LP (variant)...

Quote:
The handle isn't from wood IMVHO, look like horn or akar bahar, how is the feel in hand, warm or colder?
Horn is a likely possibility. From the carving, I don't see any hints for AB though.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote