View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2008, 03:07 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I agree with Lew and Rick, the distinct dotted script is a Bikaner armoury characteristic, and this seems to have been a monumental establishment with the number of weapons associated with it. This is in Rajasthan, where these weapons are still produced. The appearance of identical weapons would suggest commercial products, but it seems unusual to have such detail as armoury marks applied.
It is worthy of note that in the latter 19th century, well into the 20th, the native cavalry regiments for the British Raj, had varying preferred swords selected by the officers. While many took previous British regulation patterns, many chose thier traditional tulwars. I had a pair of steel hilt tulwars that were incredibly pedestrian, munitions grade and stamped MOLE in the blade. These were apparantly of early 20th century and likely intended to be included in armoury stores for such issue. The lack of regimental marks suggests this issue was never reached, and I wonder if this may be the case with these.

Perhaps wishful thinking, but thought I would add this anyway. The traces of dark pitting in the blades suggest there is some age, and bronze can also be polished out. The blade profiles show the stepped back for the last third of the blade near to the point, a feature that would not seem to be used on commercial products for civilians.
In the military regulations there were apparantly indications on the length of tulwar blades for the native regiments, I believe 31" and 33" , one for Madras and the other Bengal, cannot recall specifics though.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 22nd June 2008 at 03:18 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote