Thread: Kampilan ?
View Single Post
Old 27th September 2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Michel

Default Kampilan

Thanks to all of you.
Rick: Yes the handles are in bones except the one at 10 o'clock, the Jawa keris in the middle and the keris Moro at 7 o'clock.
I am responsible for this strange combination (all philipino blades with one jawa keris) as when I found these blades they were all wrapped in a piece of paper. They were obviously all coming from the same source and the jawa blade and the Moro Keris had no grip. So I made these handles and the display.
Thanks for the bringing in the idea of "interpretation" of a kampilan. I think that you are right. As I have searched a similar blade but could not find one having this little bump at the end of the blade. The interpretation of the handle will give me also more freedom for the handle to be made.
Thanks Kronkckew for the many shapes of philipino blades shown, with their names.

Thank you Battara for the confirmation of Rick's interpretation. I think I will make a real kampilan type of handle, in wood and not in bone or Tagua nut.
Have you ever seen a kampilan hilt in Ivory ?
What do you think : dark hard wood can do the job ?

To insert the hairs in a 40 millimeter long and only 2-3 mm thick handle will be tricky. Any suggestions ?

Regards

Michel
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote