Thread: Indian Pistols
View Single Post
Old 4th February 2017, 06:13 PM   #14
rickystl

Thanks for the additional photos. From the photo the internals of the lock do indeed appear to be European made. Or at least to that standard. Although the engraving does look more Persian in style. That hammer assembly is really unique. Believe it's the first I've ever seen. A very interesting design. But I can't figure out the purpose of the two hammer pieces with the set screw (?)
Must be something I'm not thinking of. Hmmmm.Do any of you think the lock was European or Persian made - before any decoration was applied ?

I note the Persian style mosaic work on the stock. Below, is a photo of the mosaic work from a Persian long gun I own. Note the similarities.

Overall, it seems the pistols are all Persian made. With a general outline of the European half-stock pistols of the period. I seldom see ALL Persian made guns. And you almost never see any come up for sale. I don't know why there seem to be so few examples remaining today compared to others from the rest of the Ottoman Empire. I know this has been discussed on the Forum in the past.

Now, come to think of it.......It seems that I have seen this percussion hammer style many years ago on a pair of cased, European dueling pistols. But my memory is not what it used to be. LOL

Anyway, a very neat pair of pistols. And if ALL Persian made, even more desirable. Thanks for posting.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote