Thread: Indian Pistols
View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2017, 11:20 PM   #10
Paul Duffy

As promised I have attached more photos of the pistol, the inside of the lock, the hammer & mortise area, & the trigger guard.
I should have mentioned that there are no proof or view marks on or under the barrels, or any marks or stamps on the inside of the lock.Although the springs & tumblers seem to be well made.

On one pistol I have been able to remove the striker by removing the screw at the back of the hammer. One of the photos shows all the components. The screw in the other hammer is stuck.The striker can only ignite a percussion cap fixed to the nipple, however the set up is odd, & seems to be based on a pellet lock.

The iron trigger guard is engraved in a similar fashion to the lock plate, & you will see the pineapple finial to the trigger guard, which is attached in the usual way, a screw to the grip & a pin through the stock above the base of the pineapple.

In my first post I mentioned that the decoration seemed to have been "stuck on".This is incorrect, on closer inspection I can see hundreds of brass pins & brass pieces hammered into the stock. The thin brass pieces separate the lines of pins which make up the triangles & circles formed by the pins which are outlined in red.[I also have new lenses in my glasses!!]

I was confused by some repairs to the forend which have involve replacing damaged sections of stock with new wood & painting in a poor manner, some gold lines & decoration.

I am most grateful for your comments, as I am helping carry out some research on the pistols which will be published in the 2017 edition of Arms Cavalcade. The owner purchased the pistols over 30 years ago in Sydney.
Attached Images

Paul Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote