View Single Post
Old 9th October 2006, 10:04 PM   #14
RSWORD

An interesting sword! I agree with Rick in that I believe it possibly was a boarding cutlass and this goes with its length and blade profile well. I have seen the use of red paint from a number of cultures. I have seen remnants of red paint on Ayda katti and I have also seen remnants of red paint on "Zanzibar" swords. Buttin in his catalogue pictures several fairly early Nimcha hilted swords which have similar blade profiles as this sword. The downturned quillons is a bit unusual but over the years I have seen a few swords with this quillon configuration and all these swords had short blades broadening towards the tip and gave one the feeling of being Naval weapons. Given the hilt configuration, I lean towards Algeria but would defer to anyone who could speak about pirating off the coast of N Africa in the 19th century because my gut feeling on this sword is this is where it probably was used. Matter of fact, I want to say pirating was huge off the Barbary Coast in the 19th century with pirates hailing from Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. I would venture to guess the red paint might have been a good preservative against the salty sea water.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote