View Single Post
Old 25th February 2006, 09:19 PM   #12
Spunjer

antonio

Quote:
4. I think I must explain something Spunger. FedEx is not a transporation company. It is a Courier, with limit sizes. You might face the No-no from FedEx or they will charge so much that no one will be comfortable.

I sent instructions and no one asked many questions although Rick was at hand to help.
as per your instructions, i did forward my dilemma to rick. i will explain again what i'm facing here:

1)RZ6 (tenegre) and RZ7 (visayan bolo) are the only swords that will fit on a 4 inch diameter tube. these tubes (cardboard or PVC) can be purchased at our local hardware, so that's no problem.

2)RZ4 (barung) has a 5 inch wide scabbard appendage. since tubes are available in even numbers only, i have to place it in a 6 inch tube. now this is getting kinda hairy since i can't find a cardboard tube at this size, and i have to go with PVC tubes, which if should i purchase it, i have to buy a minimum of 10 feet. kinda overkill especially i only needed 26 inches.

3)RZ3 (kampilan) and RZ5 (panabas) posed the biggest problem. with the kampilan, i need an 8 inch diameter tube due to the staple and hair. as for the panabas, i also need an 8 inch diameter tube, due to the way it's shaped. understand, antonio, that i live in a small town. i don't have the same access if i was living in a city. so with that in mind, i found one place that carries an 8 inch diameter tube (PVC). here's the deal on that. the minimum footage that i can get from this store is twenty feet. fine. if i get twenty feet, i might as well place each sword on an 8 inch diameter pipe. now i'm gonna need 12 caps for it to cover the pipe. so here's the quote that i got from the store:

8 inch diameter pvc pipe = $7.15/ft @ 20 ft = $143.00
end caps =$43.18 @ 12 pcs = $518.16
( i told rick that i was going to use a screw cap but that would run me around $900.00)

so i'm looking at around $700.00 for packaging. i really don't think you want that.

as for the ADS pipe pictured above, i wasn't able to contact the stores in columbus since they are close on the weekends.

Quote:
FedEx is not a transporation company. It is a Courier, with limit sizes
i understand that, antonio, that's why i called fedex and gave them the dimension of the box that i previously mentioned (50x10x10). the gentleman on the other side told me that there's no problem whatsoever. now, i don't know the intricacies of shipping internationally since this is the very first time that i'm doing this. it might seem like this a very simple problem top you, but what i'm trying to do here is understand what's going on, and utilizing what i have on hand. i have no clue whatsoever that fedex is sponsoring this and that, or it has a prerequisite weight per package.

the bottom line is, these are my option so far, and i am trying my best to come up with something. i really thought that the box was a good idea, since it will be packed together, therefore cheaper, but according to your explanation, i would guess not.

regards

ron