View Single Post
Old 4th December 2021, 04:22 PM   #5
Interested Party

I read it. Well written with good production value. Mrs Ghiringhelli's scolarship and passion is appreciated as well as her willingness to make an English translation. For these qualities alone I say thank you. Interesting, if not an absolute page turner. The bibliography was a nice list for suggested reading, but well done books' always are I particularly liked the advice of obtaining a Keris Buda to moderate a group of newer keris' behavior. Mrs. Ghiringhelli had a tough task in this book of balancing between new readers and well read students hungry for new and esoteric keris knowledge in print. Printing the unsaid with authority may be an unachievable goal, or if too much is said a sacrilege (jaga, I believe you have been considering this question among others if I am not mistaken?). All in all, I liked her hilts book better. I believe both in content and artistically Keris Hilts was her most successful endeavor. At least the one that left the most lasting impression. I think I have learned more from this thread's contributors writings than the book in question. After writing this I think I will give The Invisable World of the Keris a reread to insure the books message didn't go over my head. It is definitely worth that. Maybe when I finally get a chance to read Groneman and Haryoguritmo I will feel enlightened.

On and off topic jaga and Mr. Maisey have me questioning if all old keris were created equally in an animated, golum kind of sense.

Last edited by Interested Party; 4th December 2021 at 06:39 PM.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote