View Single Post
Old 22nd March 2011, 05:54 PM   #11
katana

Just a few observations of the symbols shown by Emanuel....and a few thoughts 'outside the box' ....so bear with me

The symbol for lune (moon) and that of marteau (hammer) are very similar (related ?). Which makes me wonder about several possibillities.

If this symbolism is widely accepted across the Saharal regions ....could this indicate the reason of the the moon symbols on Tabouka ? It is interesting that the moon and hammer symbols seemed linked perhaps because...

The hammer is the main tool of the blacksmith/bladesmith.
Forging during the day with the heat of the sun and forge would be 'uncomfortable'....perhaps dusk/evening would be prefered ?
Whilst heat treating the steel the 'colour' of the steel would need to be acurately gauged....dusk/night time might be much better conditions than direct sunlight ?

Could evening be the best time to forge blades ...hence the hammer and moon link ?? Could a blade forged at 'night' be considered a better blade and the moon mark be a sign of quality ??

My other observation is the Soleil (Sun) symbol ...it is almost an interpretation of the famed 'eyelash' mark ???? Perhaps coincidence ....but interesting never the less.

Regards David
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote